Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Mysterious Mind/Body

Writers and psychologists claim that the more one uses the words I, me, and mine in their prose, the more self-involved the author of such verbiage. As a being who tries to distinguish between her ego and a more expansive, universal mindset (and choose the expanded version of consciousness)  this cautionary advice bedevils me at times. Afterall, talking about oneself is so much fun.

So in the spirit of self-indulgence, please forgive this bit of me, myself, and I.

Yesterday I woke up depressed, feeling as if the world went away and nothing was worth anything. Today I woke up and gazed out my window at the plants growing, the sun shining, (which it was doing yesterday when malaise was my best friend) and opened my computer with great enthusiasm to conquer a myriad of technical issues with software and pay bills.

In the supposedly objective universe, there is no way to make sense of the mood shift. All of the "facts" of my life were the same yesterday as they were today. Friends and family are OK, the financial situation has remained stable, the earth didn't shake, and confronting bills and software problems should make one less enthusiastic about life in general.

My only conclusion is that we are all at the affect of chemical forces in our brain and body that shift and change depending on what we might have eaten in the last week, where our psyche went in the dream state, what we picked up in the ethers as part of the collective unconscious, and even electromagnetic activity shifts during the night of our time zone.

Perhaps the only thing I can do is to try to take myself less seriously, since apparently my mind/body does as it pleases despite my best efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Resisting Revenge

For decades, Myanmar suffered under the yoke of brutal dictatorships, but from 2011 to 2021, it experienced a brief period of relative freed...