When Lost Is Not Lost!


I met a Zen master today. Since this is such a rare occurrence, I decided to seize the opportunity and ask him to advise me about my path in life. I told him, "I don't know where I am, I don't know where I'm going. I feel lost." He surveyed me with a smile and replied, "How can you be lost if you don't know where you're going?" - Richard Thomas Scott

The problem with habitual thinking lies in its repetitive track, imprisoning consciousness on the beaten path. In this mode, creativity and out-of-the-box insight are dialed to the "off" setting. Adding insult to injury, the tendency to polarize ideas into dualistic compartments, where thoughts solidify into a position on one side of the spectrum, further shuts down this fabulous computer called the mind-brain and imposes blinders on the perceiver.

What the above Zen fellow means is that you cannot be lost unless you already know where you would like to go; nothing exists independently and everything has an identity based only on its relationship to something else. In theory, being "lost" implies that one knows or senses a desired destination but the compass is inoperative.

At those times when all is lost, the best medicine is to quietly and fearlessly open the mind. Let it explore a vast, undefined space wherein lie all the possibilities for an answer. Open the lid of the box, search the stars and listen patiently. The answer will come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Depression

I Grew Two People

The Fox and the Ass